Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rwanda and... (guess who) France!!! Getting along finally?

The International community is past finding its conscience and has moved on to perform action. If you remember, just recently Rwanda was preparing for the first visit from a French President since the beginning of the Rwandan genocide. Like I said, it would be interesting to see what happened. Well, the French President (of course) apologized saying that the French response to the genocide was "too late and undoubtedly too little." He also hoped for a more positive relationship with Rwanda in the future. Of course President Kagame was ready to move forward, but he sounded a bit (not like I blame him) angry saying "We are not here to fiddle with vocabulary. What happened here was unnacceptable..." (wonk wonk wonk can't we all just get along). Anyway, as we predicted the meeting was (for lack of a better adjective) interesting. Lets sit back and watch what will really happen between the two nations in the future.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

I can understand completely why Kagame is pissed. I mean this is OVER 10 YEARS!! Rwanda can't just forget like that. If I was Kagame, I'd ask for every humanitarian aid under the sun!!!

Nakia Bell said...

Everyone was walking on eggshells about this! I remember when the ICC and UN, etc. etc. was trying to define genocide. My thing is rather it's called genocide or not, it was a severe violation of human rights. Aren't we, the West, supposed to be against that at all costs? So, I feel like it should not have mattered what it was called, we should have stepped in and tried to help out. I really hope that Rwanda and France can move forward productively. But, history tells us that that rarely occurs.

zee affairs said...

I agre Nikki! Especially after seeing the Frontline news special about the genocide. That really let it hit home. What was done (or not done) by the international community due to mere technicalities about what is or is not a genocide. You know Nikk its happening in Darfur now. Genocide or not JUST DO SOMETHING TO HELP! I don't think lessons were learned from Rwanda about what happens when you watch things like that unfold.